Old 04-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Susan Solomon

Default Pepper cat repellent?

Well, that's it. No pre-emergent after all. I've gardened 30 years without
it, and I guess I can go another 20 or so. My 2 "boys", old neutered
tomcats, follow me everywhere around our back yard; they love to watch me
weed and hoe my flowers, and I don't want anything to happen to them. I'll
just assume that the emerging weeds will die of suffocation and frustration
under the newspapers and mulch - and keep my hoe handy!

Unfortunately, my cats will see the bark mulch as one big kitty litter box.
Does anyone know if putting red or black pepper on the bark will repel cats?
It seems rather benign and inexpensive ...

Thanks to all of the group who responded! I learned a lot!!
Sue in SoCal

"Allegra" wrote in message

"Huskies4all" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
splinters from bark dust into her tiny paws. As a result I have never

had to
worry about the effect of the pre-emergent weed killer on them. I

guess
dogs
have stronger skin or something like that since they don't seem to

mind
walking over bark or even hot asphalt at times.

I'll jump right in here with a timely piece of information. I'm a
Certified Veterinary Technician, and this week we treated a cat for
exposure to a weed killer that contained Glyphosate (sp?)

Talk about one SICK cat. She was completely listless, couldn't keep any
food down for a couple of days, which in cats, can be a BIG problem.

SO,
I wouldn't recommend putting anything on that a cat could get into
contact with.

Dogs are more resistant, cats are sensitive to EVERYTHING, they can't
even take aspirin. However, I'd still be hesitant to use it if a dog
might get into it.

CJ

PS, the cat's fine, went home yesterday after 2 days in the hospital.

Hello CJ

According to the EPA these are the trade names of the products using
Glyphosate.

Glialka
Roundup
Sting
Rodeo
Spasor
Muster
Tumbleweed
Sonic
Glifonox
Glycel
Rondo

You may want to go to
http://www.epa.gov/OGWDW/dwh/c-soc/glyphosa.html
and look there for more info if you think it will help you when you advise
your
patients.

How was the cat exposed to it, by the way? Ate it, walked in fresh exposed
area,
was it an outside cat? There are so many factors here to be considered,

but
the most
important one is that I know of not a single pre-emergent weed killer that
has any form
of Glyphosate in its formula. At least none of the ones we have used or

use
presently.

For more information you can go to
http://www.scotts.com/growMag/2003Ma...ntrol_zone.htm

where a master gardener explains the uses and how to of pre-emergent weed
killers.

I do not believe that animals should be allowed to roam the gardens while
one is engaged
in either planting or spraying. We have been very careful to spray always

at
dusk, downwind,
and preferably after we know given their almost recognizable schedule for
instance with
our hummingbirds, when they are not to return for the day at our home to
feed. Then and
only then BH has gone out properly suited to spray. We have never had a
problem with
either our dogs or our cats. But I believe these to be personal choices
which in no way
should be interpreted to be a criticism or a reproach to any pet owner.

However since you refer to Glyphosate I thought I must bring up the

subject
once again that pre-emergent weed killers and "regular" weed killers are

not
one and the same. And good for the kitty and shame to the parents that
allowed her/him to be exposed to a pesticide.

Allegra