Old 04-04-2003, 07:08 AM
rich sharp

Default Cats in rose beds

Corepaul wrote:

How can I keep the neighbor's cats from using my raised rose beds as a litter
box? I hear that moth balls work but I have several questions:

1. Does anyone know if this will actually discourage cats?

2. Moth ball is a generic term for three very different compounds: 1,4
dichlorobenzene, camphor, or naphthalene. If the answer to question 1 is yes,
do all three compounds work (as they obviously do for moths) and if not, which
do? Is any one preffered for this use?

3. Does their use in a rose bed adversely effect the roses? If so, can any
soil treatment offset the adverse effects? Are the effects worse than the
ammonia in urine (in relatively large quanity)?

Any other methods to discourage the cats will be appreciated.

posted for Sandy.

Some years back, I found (in a pet shop) an aerosol can

of, believe it or not, cat repellent. It's called "Boundary

indoor/outdoor dog and cat repellent", and it works. I first

used it to keep my cat away from a place I didn't want her to go.

I found it about 15 years ago, and still have the original can.

I don't know if you'll find it anywhere now, but it won't

hurt to ask around. Lotsa luck.

Rich in Denver