Old 10-10-2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Dream pond - Next pond will have...

"DavidM" wrote in message
The pond that I dug in my families garden has been pretty happy all year
(finger crossed/touch wood etc). That means I've not been too involved,
and have been pretty quiet in the group.

That does not stop me dreaming about pond modifications and new designs.
My next pond will be different. Larger (currently 900 gallons), and more
formal (currently a hand dug hole with PVC liner).

Here are my dream pond features. I would be very grateful for comments or
experienced thoughts. The answerers might be useful to people starting out
also;

- Raised brick sides. I would have maybe 2' below ground and 3' above
ground, contained by a concrete block wall. I like the idea of fish at
chair height, not foot height.

- Perfectly round and straight sided. This is the formal aspect. No
shallow bits for heron wading and no slow moving water patches. Will heron
stand on the edge of a pond wall, how could you stop that?

- Aim for 6000 L (1500 G) or more. I like the Skippy design filter that we
use now, it would need to be much larger though. Perhaps a small vortex
first and some fine matting last, or just out into the veggie filter?

- Glass fibre over concrete block surface. Sealed concrete with a good
thickness of tough glass fibre. Liner leaks are horrific and far too easy,
I don't want any more of those.

- No plants in the main pond, just fish. I like veggie filters, so would
probably have tanks in a crescent around one quarter of the ponds
circumference. The water would be fast moving from tank to tank, with a
cascade of reed, iris and watercress. Before or after filters, or
completely separate?

- Perhaps a pergola over the top of the pond to keep off the summer sun
and slow algae growth.

Please feel free to comment on one or all. Do we have a group FAQ?

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk

My dream pond would be indoor/outdoor with a large tunnel joining the indoor
outdoor part. The tunnel would have hatches at both ends and could be closed
for the winter. The indoor pond would have raised edges/seats as you
indicated. The outdoor pond would have a waterfall/bottom drain(s) and
skimmer. Perhaps a water-wall indoors too. The outdoor pond would also have
a Lilly pond and stream. The filter room for the pond/aquarium would be
housed under the walls supporting the indoor pond.