Old 04-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default beetles that look like ladybug but not; Sandpipers?

Kevin Eanes wrote:

Archimedes,

The Southern corn rootworm beetle, also known as the Spotted cucumber
beetle, (Diabrotica undecimpunctata howardi) resembles a ladybug.

The Mexican bean beetle (Epilachna varivestus Mulsant) also resembles
a ladybug.

Best Regards,
-Kevin

Yes, Kevin, looked up both but the first is not it. The second is the
culprit. After looking up the bean beetle on the web of Univ of Florida
with its pictures I now know what I am dealing with. I am surrounded
by soybeans and alfalfa.

I used to catch stray wasps and ladybird beetles in the house to release
outside. These bean beetles had me tricked into thinking they were ladybird
beetles. And when they become so numerous lead me to the suspicion they
were not ladybird.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies