Old 16-10-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Treating houseplants ...gnasty gnats

Charlie wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:52:02 -0700, "Val" wrote:
I've also had good results using cinnamon to prevent damping off in
flats of seedlings. I sprinkle it over the flats after seeding.

Charlie

Absolutely! Cinnamon is a natural fungicide, I do the same, works very
nicely.

My neighbor has a HUGE pot with a ficus tree in it. Her cat decided it was a
very convenient litter box while she was away at work. I suggested she
sprinkle a good bit of cinnamon on the surface of the soil........the cat
won't go near it now. This might not work for all cats but it sure worked
with hers. I sprinkled cinnamon in the pots that had the plants my cat
seemed to like chewing on.....that solved that problem too. Apparently there
are cats that just don't like the smell of cinnamon. YMMV

Val