Old 04-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Jane

Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Hi Henry,
I liked your suggestions about Merrifield garden center. Thank you!
Jane
"Henry" wrote in message
. ..
Judy Ghirardelli wrote:

Any suggestions where I can find my last 3 roses? I've gotten 2 at

Homestead
Gardens (Carefree Beauty and Jeanne Lajoie), 1 at Behnkes (Princess

Marianna),
and I will soon by 8 more at Behnke's (3 Knockouts, Frederic Mistral,

Baby
Blanket, Don Juan, Bonica, and Heritage). (I checked - they have them).

What
I have left is William Baffin, Hawkeye Belle, and Belinda's Dream. I

plan to
also call a place in B'more and another west of Columbia (the names

escape me
- maybe Valley View Farm and Sunset Hills or something)? Are there

other good
nurseries you'd suggest for less than common roses like the above? If

not,
I'll mail order, but I'd rather get potted roses locally if possible.

I'm not Jane but I also live in Maryland. Homestead and Behnke are
certainly the big ones (although I find Behnke more expensive than most
others). Here are the places we visit (although roses are not
necessarily the big thing at any of them, they all have some):

We like Thanksgiving Farm in Adamstown (southwest of Frederick on Rt. 85
- 1619 Buckeystown Pike, Adamstown, MD 21710 - 301-662-1291). Great
for perennials.

In Virginia is Merrifield Garden Center (two locations on Lee Highway,
in Merrifield and Fairfax - see http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/.

Stadler Nursery, which used to be down in Wheaton next to Brookside
Gardens, is now on Rt. 108 just east of Laytonsville, MD. 301-473-9042.

There's another nursery on 108, a little further east. It used to be JH
Burton's or something but it's changed hands now so I don't know what
it's called.

There's a place west of Frederick off of US 40. I'll see if I can dig
up the name.

Finally, there's a place called the Heritage Rosarium (211 Haviland Mill
Rd, Brookville, MD 20833, 301-774-2806, evenings). It's a private
garden but he (Nick Webber) grows quite a few roses and roots cuttings
to sell. He has an open house toward the end of May (usually Memorial
Day weekend) and it is definitely worth a visit. You might give him a
call and see if he has them.

In any case, if you find William Baffin let me know. I've just decided
I want one.

--
Henry