Old 23-10-2007, 01:04 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Wooden mulch, bird baths, cats

To make a long story short, I am worrying about whether wood mulch
(Cedar Nuggets from Home Depot to be precise) is safe for cats to run
on or jump onto?

Good question.

If a tree had a great deal of injections and systemics applid there is a
good chance that thge chemacls may be stored in the wood. Trees load, store
and then use.

What I use at clients properties is composted tree trimmings. This consist
of wood chips, leaves and needles. I let them compost for at least one
year. NOT FRESH CHIPS. I do not find myself recommending to clients to buy
bags of mulch. What ever you use here are some helpful tips in proper
mulching.

Proper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Here are two links addressing some of the chemistry of mulch.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

A Touch of Chemistry
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html