Old 24-10-2007, 02:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.gardens
Pennyaline Pennyaline is offline

Default Wooden mulch, bird baths, cats

William Graham wrote:
The above has NOT been my experience, and I am 72 years old and have had
many cats during my life

You know, when my mother had the first traffic accident in which she was
truly at fault, she insisted to the victim, to the police, to the judge
and to us that she couldn't POSSIBLY have done anything wrong. She
explained ad nauseum that her driving was flawless, because she had been
driving for 55 years and had so much experience. It was all the other
person's fault, she rationalized, because the victim had only been
driving for twelve years and was clearly inept for that reason. She
denied blame then and still does to this day. She still will not see
that using her age as a defense was one of her biggest missteps in that
case.

....I have four of them right now....two males (one
fixed, and one not) and two fixed females. Even the unfixed male never went
more than two blocks away, and now, at about 6 years old, he seldom leaves
the property. Three of my four cats were outside cats when I got them, and
the other one soon learned to appreciate being able to go out on the deck
and sun herself.....I wouldn't have an inside cat unless I lived in a very
hazardous place, like a city apartment, and then I would get one only as a
kitten, and train him/her from birth to live inside.....Even then, every
inside cat I have known lives to go outside, and runs out every chance they
get. - That should tell you something right there........

Don't try to use the number of cats you have right now and the statement
you've had many cats during your life as justification. It's lame, and
comical.

He never went more than two blocks away? How far does a cat have to go
to be lost, injured or killed. Every cat, even the best "trained" cat is
motivated by prey drive. A fixed well-fed cat will still chase prey just
to chase it.

But I can see there's no reasoning with you about this.