Old 04-04-2003, 08:08 PM
paghat

Default Flowers for Shady Areas

In article ,
(Allview) wrote:

Are there any flowering vines that will climb a metal trellis in shade?

Marilyn in Ohio

You should put your usda Zone under your signature to remind folks not to
suggest stuff like say Glory Bower.

I think for your zone you could do well with akebia vines. I have them in
both shade & in sun; they do well both locations but the ones in the shade
look fluffier & greener. Here's some akebia bloom photos from mine:
http://www.paghat.com/akebia.html

Japanese hydrangea vine should do well in your area too:
http://www.paghat.com/moonlightvine.html
Though mine's the "Moonlight" cultivar, there are several others. It's not
a true hydrangea but has huge flat white blooms like hydrangeas. It will
take a few years to establish & grow enough to bloom, but the leaves are
gorgeous in & of themselves in the meantime, & it grows quite a lot faster
than the usual deciduous climbing hydrangea, which I also have if you want
to compa
http://www.paghat.com/climbinghydrangea.html

Virginia Creeper, or Bittersweet (Celestris), may also do well for your purpose.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"