Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Castaway

You are shipwrecked on a deserted island with the perfect habitat(s) for
orchids. High montane areas, sphagnum bogs, dense forests, waterfall seeps,
you name it. If you need it, you got it on this magical island. A crate
washes ashore containing *surprise!* your10 favorite orchids. What are they
and where do you put them?

1) Masdevallia coccinea - all color forms placed high along a trail leading
over the misty mountians to

2) a sweeping flat plain where teh mists collect and seep for Disa uniflora
in all its color forms.

3) Along that pathway, from the high mountains to the seep valley Dendrobium
cuthbertsonii, mostly the bicolor red/orange form abounds.

4,5,6) Continuing on past the seep valley the trail wraps to the windward
side of the mountains and cuts into a mixed forest where Laelia purpuratas
abound in the crotches of tree limbs accompanied by Lycaste deppei and
Mormodes sinuata.

7,8) As the trail breaks into a more open field one can find Brassavola
cucullata and Rhyncholaelia glauca exposed on trees.

9) Hidden amongst rocky cracks you can find Laelia pumila.

10) As the trail finally descends toward the rocky shore Thelmytras
(previously only seen in pictures) fill the sandy (shaded?) hillsides.

What do you populate your island with? I chose species, but hybrids abound
there, too. I thought I saw a C. Bow Bells darting through my forest, but
it was a shy elusive creature, not often found in collections anymore.

K Barrett