Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
ruth

Default veges in a planter box

Todd Boardman wrote:

i want to establish a vegie patch for my parents, but their land is so steep
and uneven i have thought a planter box might be the way to go.

any advice on size (depth), and also soil mix recommended.

any other help would be well appreciated

thanks, todd

yeah i grow veggies in planter boxes; this stuff called perpetual
spinach, rather like english spinach, in neat rows; cos lettuce, and
tons of herbs. I decided to move the broccoli into earth because they
wanted more room for their roots, which the other stuff could cope with.
There's tom thum tomato plants in too, and they seem to be OK but i
don't plant too much on top of them.

they got a worm farm yet? i mix some of the worm casings with organic
potting mix (as i read the cheap and nasty stuff can have elements of
heavy metal in it) and powdered cowpoo (break it up with spade and soak
the big bits left then spade up again}. At this time of year too i used
the leaves pruned from the grape vine, maybe leaving them out till
they're dry and then breaking them up by hand.

Then of course it's picking a location where it's easy for them to look
after the plants and pick them; and if tons of melon or pumpkin
seedlings come up from the compost you could even try and see if they'd
spraw over their steep and uneven land!

--