Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Carol Kavanagh

Default Pelargoniums/geraniums newby question

Thanks for this.

Cheers
Carol

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Carol Kavanagh" wrote:

I'm new both to gardening and this newsgroup. Last year I bought a

small
plant on a bargain table at a local nursery for $1 labelled 'geranium

blue'
It has divided fern type foliage and a little violet flower and is about

30cm high scrambling perennial. It seeds freely in our gravel driveway.

was told by a visiting relative that it was actually called Cranesbill
Incanium, and that Cranesbills used to be called geraniums but were no
longer. He told me that geraniums were the brightly coloured plants one
sees in pots on patios in travel brochures for the Greek Islands!

Anyway, I find myself confused again, as to the difference, if any,

between
Pelargoniums and geraniums. Is there any difference here, and which is

the
most suitable for planting in the South Coast of NSW in full sun on a

bank
which can get dry in mid summer?

In Sydney, at least, we call pelargoniums geraniums, and true geraniums

like
yours (ie, cranesbills) are practically unknown. I would vote for
pelargoniums in a dry spot; I think geraniums need more water.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids