Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Trish Brown

Default Wollemi Pine

Fof wrote:

I know that this is a shot in the dark, but I hope somebody will be able
to point me in the right direction.

In various publications I have seen references to the Wollemi Pine
having the potential to be a good street tree. I have the "idea"
location for one, and would like to do some experimenting, if I can get
hold of any.

Since their discovery, I know that they have been extensively studied
and propogated for future commercial sale.

Does anyone know of any souces for it?

Thanks in advance

LOL

Fof

I *thought* they were going to begin releasing them for sale in 2000,
but AFAIK they're not yet available. Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney has a
few specimen trees growing in an exhibit - I think the blurb there says
'release in 2004', but I'm not 100% sure of that date... Anyway, the
Taronga specimens are about breast height or taller, so that suggests to
me that current commercial stocks ought to be quite mature and release
should be soon (if it hasn't begun already). I'll be waiting with
interest to hear of it, because the Wollemi is a *beautiful* tree!

When I rounded the turn at Taronga and came face to face with three or
four of them, I nearly died! (Wasn't expecting to eyeball a living
fossil on the kids' day out! LOL!) I had the strongest sensation of
looking at something very very old and very very important. The leaves
are reminiscent of Bunya Pine, although they're very long and drooping
in habit. The bark is so unusual: it's dark brown and reminds me of what
my imagination thinks of as 'dinosaur scales'. It forms a very
primitive-looking pattern on the trunk and hints at the evolutionary
ancientness of the Wollemi... A silly, romantic description, I know -
but I think there'll be lots of us lining up to get hold of a Wollemi
Pine sapling as soon as they're out there!

If there is already a place where one can be had (legally, of course) -
I'd love to know! :-)

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia