Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Barbara

Default Scrub/bush turkeys

len brauer wrote:
a tough one barbara,

could you fence off certain areas of the garden? you would probably
need to cover as well so they cannot fly in. best i can think of apart
from redesignng the garden and live with them.

Am going to put some plastic board type stuff around it tonight. I don't
want that area fenced off, am just so mad, I had several different & very
colourful caladiums, just started to make a nice show, plus heaps of ferns,
ornemental gingers & groundcover, all of which have disappeared. I know once
the breeding season is over, they will not do so much damage, but putting
up with it in the mean time, is breaking my heart & spirit.
This is what happens when people feed wild birds, without thinking. For
years there were only 2 turkeys here up till 3 years ago, in a little strip
of bush, (I live almost in the CBD of Maroochydore). Neighbour started
feeding them, creating an artifical enviroment, so they are breeding like
rabbits. there are 18-20 of them here now. Not enough room in the bush for
so many of them to build their mounds, so they are trying to build them in
our gardens. The house at the back of me is rented & they never bother about
the yard much, so a turkey has built a mound there, which at the moment
stands over a metre high, right at my back fence. He is trying to get more
litter for the mound, & my yard is his choice.
Naturally the neighbour that feeds them has no interest in gardening, so he
doesn't care. also feeds the ibis, there are about 50-60 of them at the end
of the street at any one time, looks like the local garbage dump. (there is
not one TV arial in the street, that is straight)
This is what happens when humans interfere with nature.
Sorry for the rant, am really upset this morning.
--
Barbara