Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Kate Quirk

Default Scrub/bush turkeys

I realise that this is a gardening group, and so everyone is working from a
different paradigm to myself, but I must admit to being a bit shocked by the
attitudes voiced (even jokingly) about our native wildlife. Turkeys are by
no means endangered, but everytime I see a species doing well in the
drastically altered landscape of our towns and suburbs, I can't help but
give a little cheer. We have numerous turkeys in our suburb, and I figure
that if people want to live in bushy areas, then they have to put up with
the "problematic" wildlife (possums, turkeys etc), just as they do the
"pretty" animals like king parrots and lorikeets.

Okay, now that I've had *my* rant....... National Parks put out a brochure
detailing how to live along side bush turkeys (I'm surprised that the
council didn't mention this). One of its main recommendations is that you
put some fine metal or sturdy plastic mesh just under your mulch or
whatever. This makes it very difficult for turkeys to scratch, and so they
give up. As someone else mentioned, turkeys (like all Australian wildlife)
are protected. You are not allowed to harm them or, strictly speaking, even
remove them to another location. Neither NPWS nor the council will remove
an animal unless it is likely to cause harm to itself or to others.

Kate

"Barbara" wrote in message

Has any one got any ideas on how to keep them out of my garden?
Am going demented, they keep scratching up my garden & I have lost dozens

of
ferns & plants. Unless I stand in the garden all day shooing them away,

they
just keep doing untold damage. Council wont capture & relocate.
--
Barbara