Old 16-11-2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Uncle_vito Uncle_vito is offline

Default Growing Phals & Cats

I live in So Cal and am familiar with growing cymbidiums. They grow fine
outside with just fertilizer and water.

I want to learn to grow phals and catleyas and realize they need a more
humid and possibly warmer environment.

A) I can grow them outside during most of the year and have them get plenty
of heat and light. Humidity is low however.

B) I can grow them in the house, in their own room. I can humidify the room
and control the temperature, but sufficient light is lacking. An electric
grow light could be used to provide the light and it would be on a timer..

Would I be successful with A or do I really need B. If I do B, how well
does the artificial light work.

An outdoor greenhouse is not really a possibility as I have shade trees all
over my yard and it is hard to find spots with sufficient sunlight.

Thanks for replies. This is a great hobby and keeps my out of the bars.

Vito