Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Gabra

Default I'm watering daily - So sue me!

"Beechmere" wrote in message
om...
(Tish) wrote in message
My suggestion would be to think laterally. Instead of striving for
lawn right up to the base of the tree - a task that is doomed to
eventual failure, why not create a wide, mulched bed around the tree
using attractive mulch...

Did I mention that it's a front lawn, with no fence and no footpath
(Dumb Sutherland Council). The Tree is on the nature strip that
everybody walks on.

Hi Beechmere, sorry for being obtuse, but I don't understand why this would
affect the mulch idea. There may also be a difficulty growing lawn under the
tree because of shade from the tree. If you want it green, I've seen some
pretty gardens using dichondria, which doesn't mind shade and has the
advantage of never having to be mowed, although I hear there can be a
problem with it getting into your garden beds.

Some people deliberately use gravel for mulch as a security thing--you'd
know when people are walking near your property, although this may not be
what you want!