Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
susannah

Default "Wildflower seed starter liquid"?

grab yourself some coffee filters, light a real fire in a webber or whatever
BBQ you have, just make sure the material you are burning produces lots of
smoke rather than a lot of flame..

shut the lid, allow coffee filters to absorb smoke, time taken will depends
on the amount of smoke generated, but not too long... Few minutes really..

Soak seeds o'night in water as packet instructs, then place smoked coffee
filters over the top and water. Remove once germination is successful.

This method was used for some flannel I grew, and some other finicky NSW
species. The NSW Kennedia rubicunda does not need the smoke treatment, just
soaking in just boiled water, and allowed to cool overnight...

Perhaps try both methods to see if it is just an added precaution (or
marketing ploy) to use the sachet of smoke stuff...

Susannah

"watchcat" wrote in message
u...
Hi
I recently brought a packet of wildflower seeds back from WA - coral

creeper
(kennedia coccinea). Too late, I notice that the instructions for
germination require the use of "wildflower seed starter liquid".
Apparently, you soak the seeds overnight in this stuff plus water. Having
neglected to make the purchase at source, I'm wondering if anyone can tell
me the likely ingredients, so I can make my own?