Old 20-11-2007, 01:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
John Varigos John Varigos is offline

Default Masd tuerckheimii

Kathy, why don't you come too?

Danny is coming through Melbourne (staying at my place) so we can spend a
couple of days looking for orchids in and around Melbourne. Plenty of room
here if you decide to also visit. Others are also welcome if you decide to
make the trip. September is peak terrestrial time in Australia.

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks John! I envy danny the trip to the WAOS.

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Hi Kathy

Beautiful flowering even if the flowers are below the leaf line.

Kew's checklist of plant names lists Masd. tuerckheimii as a valid
species. It lists Masdevallia floribunda subsp. tuerckheimii as a
synonym.

Danny informs me that he has been busy with contract work and planning
his trip to Australia for the Western Australian Orchid Spectacular in
September next year.

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I think this one is actually Masd. floribunda var. tuerckheimii. I got
it from Rod Venger lo those many years ago (95?? 96??) and it probably
qualifies as my oldest orchid. Watch. Now I'll kill it. Flowers seem
to be amongst and below the foliage rather than above it. I'm not sure
if thats a reflection of my inadequacies as a grower or the plant's
nature.

Speaking of my inadequacies, where's danny been? I miss his pictures
(so very much better than mine.) I know Eric Hunt has been busy at work
etc. and I keep up with him via his flikr site.

K Barrett