Old 20-11-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default Den and Cattleya growing medium and water

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:38:31 GMT, "Ray B"
wrote:

Interesting you would get that impression.

Catts and dens have pseudobulbs for storing water and nutrients, so can
handle long dry periods. Phals don't, only having their fleshy leaves for
storage, so generally need to stay constantly moist.

I also believe there is no such thing as a "best" potting medium for a
specific plant. Yes, the watering needs of the plant play a role in medium
selection, but so do the light level, air movement, temperature, humidity,
and the watering tendencies of the grower, which of course, vary all over
the map.

Some time ago I summarized a bit of that he
http://www.firstrays.com/potting_media.htm

As Ray says the potting media is generally specific to the grower not
the plant. But Den's don't want a lot of space and if your potting
them up like the Catts you have too large a pot. Try a saucer style
or 1 size smaller than you think they should have and not too deep.
SuE