Old 21-11-2007, 06:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Masd tuerckheimii

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:34:38 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

I think this one is actually Masd. floribunda var. tuerckheimii. I got
it
from Rod Venger lo those many years ago (95?? 96??) and it probably
qualifies as my oldest orchid. Watch. Now I'll kill it. Flowers seem
be amongst and below the foliage rather than above it. I'm not sure if
thats a reflection of my inadequacies as a grower or the plant's nature.

Speaking of my inadequacies, where's danny been? I miss his pictures (so
very much better than mine.) I know Eric Hunt has been busy at work etc.
and I keep up with him via his flikr site.

K Barrett

A beauty. How the h___ do you grow those things out here. Do you put them
in
your refrigerator during the Summer?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

I think its an example of proper case selection. I think floribundas will
grow out here. Though Dennis Olivas grows Masd coccinea on his front porch,
a huge concrete stoop which is always slightly cooler than the surrounding
yard, and properly shaded even though its a southern exposure.

I have them under the bench where the misters come on to damp down the GH
floor, and the swamp cooler's airstream bathes the floor with cool air, too
(I split the air stream, half up high, half down to the floor. I'm not sure
why I do that. Just seems to work to erradicate the heat of summer.) They
are in small bark in a clay pot for evaporative cooling, too. The passage
of air through the leaves helps too. By comparison I have a Masd Dean Haas
that barely blooms for me. (Small flowers, about 1/3 to 1/2 the normal
size.)