Old 21-11-2007, 07:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Masd tuerckheimii

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:34:38 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

I think this one is actually Masd. floribunda var. tuerckheimii. I got
it
from Rod Venger lo those many years ago (95?? 96??) and it probably
qualifies as my oldest orchid. Watch. Now I'll kill it. Flowers seem
be amongst and below the foliage rather than above it. I'm not sure if
thats a reflection of my inadequacies as a grower or the plant's nature.

Speaking of my inadequacies, where's danny been? I miss his pictures
(so
very much better than mine.) I know Eric Hunt has been busy at work
etc.
and I keep up with him via his flikr site.

K Barrett

A beauty. How the h___ do you grow those things out here. Do you put them
in
your refrigerator during the Summer?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

I think its an example of proper case selection. I think floribundas will
grow out here. Though Dennis Olivas grows Masd coccinea on his front
porch, a huge concrete stoop which is always slightly cooler than the
surrounding yard, and properly shaded even though its a southern exposure.

I have them under the bench where the misters come on to damp down the GH
floor, and the swamp cooler's airstream bathes the floor with cool air,
too (I split the air stream, half up high, half down to the floor. I'm
not sure why I do that. Just seems to work to erradicate the heat of
summer.) They are in small bark in a clay pot for evaporative cooling,
too. The passage of air through the leaves helps too. By comparison I
have a Masd Dean Haas that barely blooms for me. (Small flowers, about
1/3 to 1/2 the normal size.)

High temps in summer are a problem for me and being as next summer will be
my first with the Masd`s it will be a challenge to keep to 80f max.But like
you have already said keeping them shaded by other orchids/next to
fans/foggers will help.I could put them outside in a shaded spot with the
Cyms for summer,but i would like to keep to 80f max anyway for all my
orchids.
Keith