Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Andrew G

Default Using the rinse water

"Gen" wrote in message
om...
In these drought and water restricted times I am looking at ways of
using the rinse water from my front loading washing machine. One idea
I have heard is to get it to an external and raised 75l garbage bin
with hose attachement at the base.

Any ideas how to get the water outside ??

You could try the bin with a hose setup at the bottom. Probably have to use
silicone or something to seal it.

I set up ours on Friday. A larger diameter hose slipped over the smaller
(prolly about 1 inch) drain hose. Not sure if all of them are the same, but
our drain hose just runs from the w/m to the laundry tub, a "u-turn" near
the end allows it to hook over.

I got the "irragation drag hose" from work (white ones similar to those that
are used at sports fields). Small holes in it meant it wouldn't handle big
pressure from our pumps at work, so it was useless. Bit of gaffa tape around
the holes and it's fine. Ran it out the back door to where I wanted it.
Simply slide it off or if you have room roll it up in the laundry. Oh, and
with a bit of wire to support it, as the weight of the hose as it kept
wanting to slide off. Certainly not permanent, but enough to see us through
(I hope).

So if you can get hold of this hose, maybe through a hardware store or
irrigation store. Just measure the size of the drain hose and let them know.
Oh, and the fit doesn't have to be perfect. Tape works wonders.

Do not try shoving a small normal type garden hose up the drain hose, and
taping it up as my neighbour suggested. Chances are the pressure from bigger
to smaller will cause it to blow out, or even put strain on the rinse pump.

Once you get it outside, then do whatever. Fill a 44gallon drum, run it onto
lawn or into garden. I ran it to our other "wheely bin" which is normally
used for green waste around here. Our compost bin renders it useless. I was
suprised that between my g/f and I, almost a weeks worth of washing filled
the bin with drain water, and that's with a new type w/m.

I will probably just let the drain water run out onto the back lawn next
time, as the wheely bin is full. Oh yeah, I'm just filling a watering can by
"dunking" it in the top of the wheely bin. Takes a while to water, but will
come in handy to do all the garden if needed.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply