Old 23-11-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc[_2_] bobc[_2_] is offline

Default Den and Cattleya growing medium and water

The cats seemt to do okay in it. They grow, new shoots, Several Kekei's ,
no flowers on any of the older ones (on one sI have had 1.5 years ). The
dendroibiums appear to hate it. Most of them sit there, a couple have new
growth. The Phal's go crazy in it. Looking at the books, it seems this
should be a okay mix, but experience is always better.

Lack of flowers from mature plants can be from a poor root system or
lack of enough light. I mention poor roots because of the topic, but
more often than not light affects flowering .

Also, for watering: In general do Cat's and Den's like more water than
Phal's? I water them on the same schedule, and some are oky, other show
signs of needing more water such as wrinkled new growth, shriveled
pseudobulbs, etc

Wrinkled growth is from desiccation. Make sure the DUNK their pots in water
up the rim until all the medium is wet. Trying to water some of the coarser
mediums is difficult as the water runs right through it. The roots get
nothing. The leaves and bulbs shrivel.

I agree with Kenni - the dessicated appearence can be from rotted
roots, which can't absorb water, or too dry of a mix. Whenever plants
look dessicated it is a good idea to check the roots, and the medium.
The medium can look good from the top and be rotted in the center.
After the roots and medium are checked then I can decide if it's from
lack of water or too much water. I water my plants in bark
thouroughly ... to make sure all the medium gets wet. I have about 40
orchids and go through 8 to 10 gallons of water per watering. I then
allow them to almost dry before watering again. That translates into
once a week for some during the winter to every other day in the
summer. It's important to water according to the plants needs rather
than a certain schedule. The schedule comes as you become familiar
with the plant's environment and needs. Orchids can be grown in just
about anything that holds them in the pot - if it allows air and water
to the roots. Too much air (too dry) or too much water (too wet)
should be avoided. Overwatering usually happens not because we add
too much at once, but rather by watering too often - before the medium
has a chance to almost dry out. There are exceptions to every rule,
for instance, Phrags like being wet.
I hope this helps.
Good growing!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa