Old 24-11-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd Kenni Judd is offline

Default Water spots on leaves

Citrus works, so does milk, but it's a lot of work (and requires a rinse --
otherwise, the milk will stink and both will draw ants).

Never tried Ray's product, but most leaf-shines don't really remove the
spots, they just hide them and gradually wear off.

Kenni

"Ray B" wrote in message
From my "Home Remedies" page:

If you live in an area where the water has a fair amount of dissolved
minerals, or if you mist with a fertilizer solution, the leaves of your
plants can become dull in appearance. Folks may warn you that these
treatments can clog the pores (stomata) on the leaves, but I've never seen
a problem.

Pineapple juice, or any citrus juice (lemon, lime, orange), when
rubbed onto the leaves with a soft cloth or paper towel will also remove
such deposits so your leaves will be nice and shiny. I suppose the
acidity reacts with the mostly alkaline deposits. (Thanks to CJ
Maciejeski)

Reka reports that stale beer may also be used for shining up leaves,
although we're both at a loss for how to get stale beer, as it never gets
that way around our houses!

Mix about a 50% dispersion of whole milk in a quart of water. Using a
soft cloth or paper towel, wipe the leaf surfaces with the dispersion.

Similar to the milk above, dilute mayonnaise with water to form a thin
paste. Again, apply using a soft cloth or paper towel, being sure that
you wipe off as much of the paste as you can.

If you like "going natural," but don't want to bother making up your
own stuff, I have formulated a great spray - Rise & ShineT - that is a
great leaf cleaner and shine. Go to "The Store" to see more.

Personally, I recommend Rise & Shine, as it's a cleaner, disinfectant and
insecticide.

"Laura Hindman" wrote in
message ...

How can I remove water spots on my orchid leaves? Our well water runs
through limestone and therefore leaves white deposits on the leaves
when the water dries. Now the leaves are starting to look dull and
somewhat unsitely.
Any suggestions?

--
Laura Hindman