Old 25-11-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default What Happened? - Phal

Maddie,

More to the point, is there any root activity on the portion with leaves?
Forget the base - it's rotten. The fact that the aerial roots dried up is
telling. The plant could have been over or underwatered. Either can cause
the roots to be unable to absorb water. Also, it might be a bacterial or
fungal infection that causes root rot. Without knowing the condition of the
leaved part, I can only offer a generic answer.

Cut away any rotten parts below the leaves, being careful to preserve
anything that remotely looks like a root. Spray with an anti fungal
solution. (See www.firstrays.com for natural ways to do this.) Soak some
spaghnum moss in water with a bit of rooting hormone mixed in. Surround the
base of the plant with spag, and either wrap in plastic or pot it up.

Pray.

Diana

"Maddie" wrote in message
I repotted my phal about a month ago. I looked like it was doing OK for a
couple of weeks and even sprouting a couple of new air roots. I realized a
couple of weeks ago that the new air roots appeared to dry up. I tilted
the plant and the whole plant broke off at the base. The leaves looked
good but the base where it broke is black and the stem is sort of hollow on
the inside. What do you guys think happened? Is there any chance that the
plant can be revived with no leaves left?

Thanks for your help.

Maddie