Old 26-11-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default What Happened? - Phal

I'm with Diana.

I've saved them in the opposite state, ie the crown had rotted and the base
was still good. But heck. You have nothing to lose by trying. Sort of
like CPR. The plant will either send out a root or not. Give it 6 weeks
and see what happens. Under the right conditions Vandas etc will put out
new roots when 'topped' and phals are in the same alliance, so heck. You
get to play 'Columbus' and chart new territory.

I wouldn't pot it up. I'd just leave it in a pot without any medium (just
so it doesn't tip over or anything) and see what happens. The theory is
that there are axial buds that, depending on the nature of the catastrophic
event, will form a root, a new growth, a flower stem or whatever is required
for the plant to live. (Well its a bit more complex than that, but hey. For
our purposes its only important that you know Mother Nature has planned for
these eventualities.)

People talk about the "sphag and bag" technique to keep the ambient humidity
around the plant a bit higher, but that has never worked in my hands. I
usually do good with just putting it in a pot and letting nature take its
course. Not that the S&B Tech wouldn't work in your situation, but just to
let you know that there are alternatives and variations on a theme. Like
put the plant top in an empty pot, and put a clear plastic bag (like what
you put vegetables in at the store) over the plant and empty pot (ie halfway
between the "sphag & bag" technique and my 'Tough Love' technique.) (I'm big
on adapt or die). Other people exhale into the bag making a richer CO2
atmosphere. Do NOT inhale!!! There are spores in the sphag that'll kill
you. (well, that's an overstatement, but it got your attention. These spores
can make you sick.)

I suppose you could google "Sphag and Bag technique" as well as "sphagnum
moss spores" and educate yourself. Orchid hobbyists talk endlessly on these
subjects so there'll be any number of chatrooms with threads on these
topics.

My. I have been chatty, haven't I? I don't usually write this much because
no one reads it. Sound bites aren't just for the press, now are they?
There are NG write bytes, too. (Hmmm... I think I just coined a term.....)

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Maddie,

More to the point, is there any root activity on the portion with leaves?
Forget the base - it's rotten. The fact that the aerial roots dried up is
telling. The plant could have been over or underwatered. Either can cause
the roots to be unable to absorb water. Also, it might be a bacterial or
fungal infection that causes root rot. Without knowing the condition of
the leaved part, I can only offer a generic answer.

Cut away any rotten parts below the leaves, being careful to preserve
anything that remotely looks like a root. Spray with an anti fungal
solution. (See www.firstrays.com for natural ways to do this.) Soak some
spaghnum moss in water with a bit of rooting hormone mixed in. Surround
the base of the plant with spag, and either wrap in plastic or pot it up.

Pray.

Diana

"Maddie" wrote in message
I repotted my phal about a month ago. I looked like it was doing OK for a
couple of weeks and even sprouting a couple of new air roots. I realized
a couple of weeks ago that the new air roots appeared to dry up. I tilted
the plant and the whole plant broke off at the base. The leaves looked
good but the base where it broke is black and the stem is sort of hollow
on the inside. What do you guys think happened? Is there any chance that
the plant can be revived with no leaves left?

Thanks for your help.

Maddie