Old 26-11-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
eclectic eclectic is offline

Default Repotting Phals

We have a phal which has performed well for the last two and a half years.
Since the anniversary of receiving this gift, it has had a succession of
bloom with a new spike about every three months. We are pleased with the
results but know it's beginners luck and apparently a good location (east
facing kitchen window). I confess that I haven't been fertilizing out of
ignorance and fear, but I have remembered to water it thoroughly once a
week. Any new leaf growth it has produced for us (four total in the two and
a half year period) has been healthy and progressively larger in size. How
do you know when to repot with new bark/soil?

It came in a 5 1/2" clay pot with a plastic liner filled with a bark-like
material. Should we wait to repot until after the current flowering period
ends? Right now there is a new spike among several aerial roots.