Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Grevillea? Can anyone identify?

"Ed Adamthwaite" wrote in message
Hi Richard,
thank you for the links. They helped me to identify a Grevilea Robusta
(about 5M high)over the road from my place. However although very similar
to the type I am talking about, it doesn't have the stratified bands of
flowers across it's foliage. The flowers of the G.Robusta in the pictures
seem quite random in their positioning.
I wonder if the stratafication only happens when they get really big? They
are a really spectacular tree. And apart from attracting birds, the bees
seem to like them too.
Regards,
Ed.

Loosecanon wrote:

Grevillea robusta I think pics
http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/phtml...pn=3990&size=2
http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/phtml?pc=a&pn=783&size=2

This is getting upto the big stuff in the genus. Most others are shrubs.
Susceptible to sooty mold in WA.

Richard

--
Posted at www.Usenet.com.au

Now I am thinking what you are describing is not a Grevillea at all. That
stratification or different layers on the tree sounds like the native
frangapani (Hymemosporum flavum). Anyways here is a pic or 3 of that :

http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/phtml...pn=9776&size=2
http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/phtml...pn=3097&size=2
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...sweetshade.jpg

They have a habit of the first branch being at a particular height then the
next is up higher but at different point. The branches spiral up the tree
and unpruned specimens have a shape like a pine tree. That is wide at the
bottom and going upto a point. This tree would fit height wise too.

Cheers

Richard