Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
alpickrel alpickrel is offline

Default Paraphalaenopsis labukensis question

On Dec 2, 12:18 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
I have a Pphs labukensis that has been lingering for me. Tries to put out a
new growth and then just stops. So the GH has the right conditions for a
short period of time and then changes..... In researching I see it can be
intermediate, but more possibly its a warm grower (???? I guess that's my
question) And wants high(er) humidity - like 70-80%? I wondered if I
should bring this inside this winter.... I considered bringing the vandas,
phals and this one inside becasue I let the GH get very cold, practically
unheated, and they don't like that. For example it got down to 52F last
night. Ambient was 38-40F.

Anyway, I know there are a couple of Paraphalaenopsis freaks here and
wondered how you grew 'em? Any tips? Mine was in a slat basket. one its
side with sphagnum moss. Moss has soured and I generally don't do well with
moss, so I've moved it to a treefern mount.

(Ha, the more I write the more I convince myself to bring it inside.)

K Barrett

Mine grows with my vandas, hanging upside-down from a sideways hanging
cedar vanda basket. It has no media around its roots. It has always
resented attempts to 'plant' it or tie it to anything. I should
think, however, that treefern would be the best choice and moss, would
be the worst choice (especially if intermediate or cool night temps
are in play)

Mine does not seem to want to attach its roots to anything at all, but
it does grow well. Every year it makes a new leaf or two and a foot
or two of new root. Every once in a while it leaps off whatever it is
supposed to be attached to and has to be hung back up; Just kind of
lets go and free falls. I find it laying on the floor or tangled in
something hanging below it's former "mount". I have been thinking
'bungee cords' might be called for.

Blooms every spring when the warm/sunny weather returns to my area.

My greenhouse night temps are in the extreme upper 50s/ lower 60s
right now. I can't say anything in moss is happy with me for that. I
have been edging it up higher as warmer night temps seems to be the
key to keeping botrytis off the cattleya flowers so I can get through
the holidays with something pretty to sell, despite the cost of BTUs.

When you walk into your tropical greenhouse in the morning and can see
your breath that's not good.