Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Septic Tank: how often to clean?

Eddy please email me at mikeATrneba.org.uk changing AT for @ and noting 'r'
and 'n' which looks like 'm'

I regret that septic tanks are rather like cars, wallpaper, fashions,
colours etc etc etc.All are different.

I had Septic Tank which certainly DID NOT conform to the posts you have had
so far and my neighbour had one different again to mine.

You need to describe just what sort of tank you have. We cleared ours out
about every 3/4 years, our neighbour, because of the construction and system
of his tank NEVER had it emptied in the 20 years I knew of him.

Kind regards

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

"Eddy Bentley" wrote in message
Forgive me asking this "odious" question in this group, but I know that
a lot of keen gardeners live on isolated properties which are not
connected to the usual sewage system.

We have a reasonably-sized septic tank embedded in the front garden and
we understand that the previous owner had it cleaned every year, at a
cost of about £120. There has been a suggestion that this annual
cleaning is a bit excessive. On the other hand, I have read that if the
solids mount up and leave the tank and move into the soakaway area then
the soakaway area becomes clogged and you then have to build a new
septic tank at another (clean) spot - which is a real bother and a
considerable expense. So, clearly, regular cleaning is worthwhile.

But how often is regular for a two-person household?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddy.