Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd Kenni Judd is offline

Default Dividing Cymbidium

Cymbidiums are not my strong suit, either, it's too hot here for most of
them. But _in general_, one big orchid in one big pot will make more,
bigger better flowers than that same orchid split into 2 or more pots.
Usually takes up less space that way, too.

Around here, the for-sale inventory is divided regularly, because the niche
market of those who will spend for big specimens is limited, but the orchids
in my personal collection are divided only if there's a real reason to do so
(next size pot would be too big/heavy for me to lift; middle rotted out or
other big gaps in the growth pattern, etc.). Kenni

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
. ..
A year ago, I received a cymbidium as a gift. It was in full bloom.
After it stopped blooming, it began to send out new shoots.

I kept it in its original pot, a 1 gallon nursery can. But it seemed to
get pot-bound. Yesterday, I repotted it into a red-clay pot slightly
larger than the can. It was indeed pot-bound; I saw only roots and no
potting mix.

I tried to separate the pseudobulbs when repotting, but that was
impossible. Should I leave the mass as is, or should I try to cut the
pseudobulbs apart?

Another question:

For most of the year, I keep the plant outside on my patio. It gets a
little sun but mostly shade. About 3 weeks ago, I brought it indoors
because we do get night-time frost in the winter, including the last two
nights (although the nearest weather station -- about one mile east --
recorded lows not below 40F). I keep it in the dining room with light
from a north window until early March.

Is this indoor-outdoor idea valid, or should I leave it outside all
winter?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean