Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Uncle_vito Uncle_vito is offline

Default Dividing Cymbidium

Cymbidiums like plastic pots. The clay ones will break when they get root
bound. They like to be root bound when you want flowers. Putting in a
larger contrainer may slow down the flowering. I would bring them in the
house if frost is possible, but leave them outside when warmer.

Is not a house plant. Likes temperature swings but not freezing. Here in
so cal if freezes maybe 5 nites a year if not luckly. I bring the
cymbidiums into the garage those nites and back out during the days.

Vito

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
. ..
A year ago, I received a cymbidium as a gift. It was in full bloom.
After it stopped blooming, it began to send out new shoots.

I kept it in its original pot, a 1 gallon nursery can. But it seemed to
get pot-bound. Yesterday, I repotted it into a red-clay pot slightly
larger than the can. It was indeed pot-bound; I saw only roots and no
potting mix.

I tried to separate the pseudobulbs when repotting, but that was
impossible. Should I leave the mass as is, or should I try to cut the
pseudobulbs apart?

Another question:

For most of the year, I keep the plant outside on my patio. It gets a
little sun but mostly shade. About 3 weeks ago, I brought it indoors
because we do get night-time frost in the winter, including the last two
nights (although the nearest weather station -- about one mile east --
recorded lows not below 40F). I keep it in the dining room with light
from a north window until early March.

Is this indoor-outdoor idea valid, or should I leave it outside all
winter?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean