Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Septic Tank: how often to clean?

On 3/12/07 16:48, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 3/12/07 15:43, in article , "Eddy
Bentley" wrote:

Forgive me asking this "odious" question in this group, but I know that
a lot of keen gardeners live on isolated properties which are not
connected to the usual sewage system.

We have a reasonably-sized septic tank embedded in the front garden and
we understand that the previous owner had it cleaned every year, at a
cost of about £120. There has been a suggestion that this annual
cleaning is a bit excessive. On the other hand, I have read that if the
solids mount up and leave the tank and move into the soakaway area then
the soakaway area becomes clogged and you then have to build a new
septic tank at another (clean) spot - which is a real bother and a
considerable expense. So, clearly, regular cleaning is worthwhile.

But how often is regular for a two-person household?

Any ideas?

I think it all depends on the size of the chamber, to be honest. I had one
at my old house that had to be emptied once a year and it was used by my
house which varied in occupancy from 1 to 4 at varying times and the house
next door which had 4 occupants. Some of the answer also depends on
location. One of my children owns a house on a highish water table and if
that septic tank isn't emptied annually, it gets water in it and then fills
up and.....you can imagine the rest. That house has between 1 and 2
occupants so its septic not exactly over-used! Then there's the question of
whether the occupants use baths (lots of water daily) or showers (much less
water daily). IOW, I'd go for the annual clean out option on the grounds of
peace of mind and probably cheaper in the possibly disastrous long-run.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Sacha.

I've lived with septic tanks (if you get my meaning!) for the last 35
years. At our last house, we had it emptied about every three years,
which seemed to be adequate until the day it started overflowing
following a torrential downpour, which just happened to coincide with
higher than normal use of baths, etc. The clear-up was not pleasant and
involved some expensive alterations. I've gone for annual emptying ever
since, which has been well worth the cost, in my view. I now have a
standing order with the local council and don't even have to remember to
ask for it to be emptied.

Yes, I had the standing order thingy and as long as they have access you
don't need to be there. All you know about it is the bill shoved through
the letter box! I've lived in more houses with septic tanks than on main
drains so IME the least expensive option is the annual service.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk