Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Septic Tank: how often to clean?

On 3/12/07 20:40, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

"Eddy Bentley" wrote in message
Forgive me asking this "odious" question in this group, but I know that
a lot of keen gardeners live on isolated properties which are not
connected to the usual sewage system.

We have a reasonably-sized septic tank embedded in the front garden and
we understand that the previous owner had it cleaned every year, at a
cost of about £120. There has been a suggestion that this annual
cleaning is a bit excessive. On the other hand, I have read that if the
solids mount up and leave the tank and move into the soakaway area then
the soakaway area becomes clogged and you then have to build a new
septic tank at another (clean) spot - which is a real bother and a
considerable expense. So, clearly, regular cleaning is worthwhile.

But how often is regular for a two-person household?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddy.

When you say "septic tank" what exactly are you referring to. If it is one
of the modern multi chamber "Clargester" tanks they must be emptied
regularly to avoid damage. If the solid waste is allowed to build up, when
it is the emptied the upper chambers wont take the weight once the lower
chamber is empty and it is highly likely to collapse. I know this because a
near neighbour had just that happen. I had the same system and had it
emptied every year with never a problem.

If however you have an old type brick built multi tank, (normally these
will have more than one standard manhole cover whilst the modern type have
just one often oval). Then if well built these will go several years without
emptying. I know this because my next door neighbour and my mother both had
this type and next door didn't have his emptied for 12 years with two people
using it. It does depend on what you flush down it though. Using lots of
modern detergents and bleach kills the bacteria that breaks down the crap.

But hey. 120quid a year is nothing compared to what I now have to pay in
water rates now I live in a town with sewers. Give me the septic tank
anytime.

Mike

Huh. We have the septic tank AND the water rates. Well, I hope they'll
drop now we've put in a borehole for the nursery! ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk