Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Petition asking to be allowed to water vegetable gardens

Jonno writes:
There will be many using their garden for growing vegetables, and I for
one believe we shouldn't be stopped from watering our vegetable gardens
even though there is a drought as there are many environmental and other
benefits for doing so.
This especially applies to pensioners and disabled people, but not
forgetting those who cannot afford to buy vegetables at ever increasing
prices.

That is something that I have for a long time pondered, but I can't see
a way around all the grey areas it would introduce. For example, how
many potatoes would you need to plant in your flower garden before it
could be called a vegetable bed (and the flowers there for companion
planting)? Would a row of carrots each side of a row of petunias allow
you to water the carrots (and unavoidably give water to the petunias)?
Maybe a low-income or disabled householder could be granted exemption,
but this would be open to abuse, too.