Old 06-12-2007, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default 'Charles E' vs 'Charles Edward'

Six years ago, I bought a Paph. Lady Rothschild seedling. (It's finally
in bloom and I will post a picture in ABPO eventually.) The
rothschildianum parent was listed as 'Charles E' FCC/ AOS.
Some time later, someone was talking here on RGO about how 'Charles
Edward' is a lousy parent because it produces offspring that are hard to
bloom. I asked about my 'Charles E' parent and was assured that Charles
E was just short for Charles Edward.
I always thought it was odd that I never found a reference of Charles
Edward receiving the FCC. Well, after it bloomed, I was looking it up on
Orchid Wiz and couldn't fine the FCC there either. THEN, I looked at
Charles E and there it was. So... not the same clone after all, if I'm
to believe Orchid Wiz. Further more, it wasn't even originally
registered as a rothschildianum! It was registered as Paph. elliottianum
'Charles E'.

Any comments on this from anyone?

Just for fun, I searched eBay and found these auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Paph-rothschildi...QQcmdZViewItem

(I can only hope some of you can open these long links) I find it hard
to believe that the picture of the plant is really a division of the FCC
plant because it looks like a seedling more that a mature division. I
could certainly be wrong. Also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Paphiopedilum-Ro...QQcmdZViewItem

They claim this one is 'Charles Edward' FCC/ AOS, which according to
Orchid Wiz, doesn't exist. Then if you scroll down and enlarge the one
picture, the tag clearly reads 'Charles E'. Interesting.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...num&category0=

That's a shorter URL and may not wrap for so many people. Both above
auctions can be found there IF you look in the first few days after I
post this.

Steve