Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dave

Default Mosquito repellents/killers

Hi all,

Its that time of year where mozzies and bbq's don't mix...

I've searched the archives of this (and other) newsgroups and there seems to
be a fair number of differing opinions about the various methods of
repelling/killing mosquitos...

Electronic zappers - some people seem to think they work great, others think
they just kill non-annoying bugs like moths etc and do nothing for
mosquitos. Most people agree they are messy and noisy!

Citronella burners - these seems to work in repelling mosquitos but be
prepared to inhale all those lovely fumes.

Citronella plants - some people say these don't work unless you rub the
leaves?? Others indicate they sortof work..

Other plants (some tea trees, some lemon scented gums, etc) - very much a
mixed reaction.

Bottom line is that citronella burners seem to be the best, but personally I
can't stand the smell... so for me they are really out of the question.

I'm leaning towards one of the zappers, but I assume not all zappers are the
same, so any comments on:

a) Are zappers any good
b) Are some types of zappers better than others
c) Any alternatives to zappers which are not citronella burners?

And/or any other suggestions...

Thanks,
Dave.