Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
RF wrote:

doofy wrote:
Omelet wrote:
Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades,

That ancient? eg

Predated the "Craze". Not the item, evidently.

and there were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the
seeds in. Don't know what seeds were supplied.

Chia. g

Dunno. I was a tyke. I seem to remember that the whole head was
unglazed, but, I can't really remember a detail like that.

Mom had her chia pet in the late 60's, early 70's.

Did she get it from Doctor Who? Could you imagine a Dahlek as a chia pet?

And I thought this was a .garden.edible newsgroup????

Are you guys cannibalizing your pets?

Heh!

Chia pets ARE edible plants!

Sprouts on a special clay planter, shaped usually like an animal of some
sort.

The sprouts grew on the surface making it look "fuzzy":

Googles Huh. Looks like there are still a good variety available:

http://ggchia.savontv.com/chia-misc-set.html

Might have to see if I can get one shipped fast as a Christmas gift for
my sister. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein