Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dave

Default Mosquito repellents/killers

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

Its that time of year where mozzies and bbq's don't mix...

I've searched the archives of this (and other) newsgroups and there

seems
be a fair number of differing opinions about the various methods of
repelling/killing mosquitos...

SNIP

Pretty much all the comments you have made about certain repellers is the
same thing I have heard, but I go for citronella candles.
It's bad here on the mid-north coast. Ocean one side, lake the other, and
many areas of bush with water (now after the rain) laying in it.

And/or any other suggestions...

There is a newish type of bug killer that was apparently invented

somewhere
around here locally. I am no way affiliated by the way.
Anyway the way it works is you have the typical blue coloured light (maybe
even fluorescent?) that bugs are attracted to. Below it, there is a tray
which you put water in, and i think detergent.
This machine creates a breeze by way of propeller or similar.
The whole idea, is the bug is attracted to the light, get caught in the
breeze, and blown downward into the water. The detergent making them sink.
A guy at work was talking about them a while back, that's all I know, so
sorry I am not to clear on it.
I guess if you are thinking of a zapper, then they work by means of
attracting by light, so this should do similar.
The word Bug eater comes to mind, but I am not totally sure. I will have a
look around and see if I can find an add for one.....

Ok, I was a little wrong. A quick check of the local phone book for

"Insect
Control Equipment" found the number which I THINK is the one, it's not a

bug
eater
No website, just a phone number.

If you want email me and I can send you the number. I would put it here,

but
I ain't going to be flamed for advertising or being accused of affiliated
:-)

my email address is:

remember remove "not"

Oh, I'm in the Forster area, Mid North Coast of NSW, but I think this
"business" has expanded, and they could be readily available

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Thanks Andrew - I have heard about that device (or something similar) before
as well - I must admit I can't remember where I heard about it...

I've decided on a two pronged approach to see what works best for our
location (Sutherland in Sydney)... I'm going to borrow a bug zapper from a
friend and see how that goes by itself, and I'm also going to try it in
conjunction with the citronella candles - but placing the candles far enough
away from where we eat etc to reduce the impact of the smell.

Hopefully the candles will repel most of the insects and any that are game
enough to come through should hopefully get attracted by the zapper before
me!

Anyways, thats the theory.... in practice I'll probable still be stratching!

Ciao,
Dave.