Old 13-12-2007, 04:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default instant post supports

Stan Pierce wrote:

Maybe if I explain why I want to use them. The garden is on a slope.

How are you going to go down slope?

The number of piers to dig and fill with concrete would amount to at least
twenty holes, probably more.

I wasn't advocating filling these with concrete. Just setting them on a
level spot to provde elevation.

It's a no-deal. That's why those screw-in
supports look such a good idea.

My only concern would be stability over time. If they do not go in a
good depth, which you have to screw in, sideways forces can cause a
bigger and bigger wobble over time. It may not be a problem

But, as you say, you have to do the work and I can appreciate physical
limitations. Give them a try.

BTW, you can dig holes with post hole diggers, which can be easier than
a shovel, especially with the right soil. clay is bad and hard, loam
works well. Worst is sandy soil where you are on knees with tin in hand
to scoop out lossened soil. 2 rock do not help either.

I support 2m wide mesh trellis with 6" hole from post hole digger, brace
2" pipe in position, fill with bag of concrete mix about 600mm depth.

If I had access to a supply of 100mm or bigger plastic pipe, I might try
post hole digger, fill hole with concrete mix, insert plastic pipe to
level needed, then fill rest of pipe with concrete. I've used this to
support multiple teirs of a water feature, but it was a back filled
site, so they actually were just a concrete filled pipe on a cap slab.

Anyway, if you get them, please let us know how they go.