Old 29-12-2007, 07:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_16_] Jonno[_16_] is offline

Default Palm Problems

Greg William wrote:
I am in Sydney

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Greg William wrote:
Hi,

We have a some large Kentias and Alexander palms located in different
areas of the garden.

Over the last 6 months ,the palm leaves are turning brown and looking
very shabby ,almost like they are getting burnt. The palms are still
growing and are getting new leaves but they soon turn brown.

We have not had a lot of hot weather so I know it not burning .

Any help would be appreciated

Where do you live?

Watering Kentias can be tricky. If your tap water is on the hard side,
switch to filtered, distilled or rainwater.(A bit of overkill I would
say) This shouldn't be a problem in Sydney. Allow the soil to dry out in
between thorough waterings.
Over watering is the most common problem with these palms. Allow the
soil to dry out Over watered Kentias will get brown tips and then yellow
spots on the fronds. Under watering will cause brown tips and the fronds
will droop somewhat.

Humidity and plant pests are rarely a problem for Kentias.

Yellow tips on a Kentia palm are a generic symptom with several possible
causes, not just a single cause.

Kentias need bright, but indirect light.

Kentias do not like their roots disturbed.

Let us know how you do with these. We would all like to know...

For the Alexander palms, see this link, which may relate in some way to
both problems regarding nutrient deficiencies
...http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP119