Old 31-12-2007, 02:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_16_] Jonno[_16_] is offline

Default Herb garden help

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

I'd suggest leaving it until March. Whatever you plant now will fry in
February. For now, just get it ready.

Not if you keep it watered and shaded, depends on where you live...And
if you have enough water...
... and time to organise its application...

Less hassle to wait till March. The summer can be spent at the beach
instead.

Try here for tough herbs not the chookie wimpy type herbs (grin!)

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2111258.htm
Who wants to cook and get cancer at the beach? We love our garden!
Laughs aside, it took my wife some time to realise how to use these herbs
in cooking, and now she does, she's always suggesting new ones to
grow...No peace for the wicked... Summertime or anytime, herbs are no
bother!

i agree - whilst admitting i'm notorious for planting out at the "wrong"
time (but almost everything lives, so i don't really find it's "wrong" ;-).
... anyway, we lived at bondi for years & years & i almost never went to the
beach - i'm an inland person g. seed grown in spring is usually ready to
plant out when the weather's already warm, so there you are. i was planting
out last night & will keep on with it again tonight.

ime little plants need a bit of coddling if you're planting out when the
weather is warm - lots of watering for about a week, good mulching & perhaps
shading if practical (it would be practical & simple to shade only 1 sq
metre). they should be fine.

1 each of curly parsley and italian parsley (both of which will end up
everywhere once they seed)
1 thyme or lemon thyme
1 small patch each of chives and garlic chives
if possible, a hanging rosemary which could be planted in one corner & grow
over the edge? (otherwise it won't fit)
... which would hopefully leave room for a couple of basils, dills,
corianders or such each summer which would die in winter.
you might have room for a small mint in a bottomless pot, if you like mint.
otherwise, maybe a spinach or silverbeet. (not a herb of course, but works
for me).

things like oregano & sage would be excellent & very nice-looking, but ime
they just get too big & might have to go in seperate garden spots or perhaps
in pots. herbs are more-ish though. i'm growing more & more of them & can't
seem to stop! one big point in their favour is nothing seems to kill them.
:-)
kylie

I am afraid I tend to be antisocial to plants, as to when I plant them,
ignoring seasons and get through by understanding their needs and having
plenty of time on my hands, though in the last four weeks this wasnt so,
and I had to neglect the garden, leaving it all in the hands of my
flower loving wife, who didnt realise that vegetables rebel when they
run out of water and run to seed. Now we have peas and beans that shot
through, silverbeet gone to seed and the pumpkins have taken over the
whole vegie garden due her her "composting" the seeds. ARGHH! Some of
the tomatoes are also history...
I am showing her this post. If I survive its because she understands my
needs at least....