Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Herb garden help

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

I am afraid I tend to be antisocial to plants, as to when I plant them,
ignoring seasons and get through by understanding their needs and having
plenty of time on my hands,

i find it helps me work out what's really truly wrong to do & will result in
total failure (& therefore not bother with again), & what is just good
advice that you can tweak a bit because you hadn't the time at the "right"
time ;-)

i feel a lot of gardening advice is a bit like medical advice - it's all
theory & might not apply in real life. for example, almost every vegetable
(say, 90%) is to be planted in spring - but at the same time one is
counselled to avoid a glut by successive plantings over several months - so,
which is it? you won't find out unless you try!

though in the last four weeks this wasnt so,
and I had to neglect the garden, leaving it all in the hands of my flower
loving wife, who didnt realise that vegetables rebel when they run out of
water and run to seed.

is your wife my husband in drag?! he knows no middle path - he either
ignores things outright or gives them so much love they die of it ;-) (i
prefer it when he ignores things - safer that way).

Now we have peas and beans that shot
through, silverbeet gone to seed and the pumpkins have taken over the
whole vegie garden due her her "composting" the seeds. ARGHH! Some of the
tomatoes are also history...
I am showing her this post. If I survive its because she understands my
needs at least....

does that mean you won't bolt in hot weather cos she is looking after you
better?
kylie