Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Aquaducts - irrigating Australia

In article ,
"Blackadder XXIV" wrote:

Has there been a serious study done to see the feasibility of channeling
water from our far north to some of the drier parts of our continent? I'm
thinking of a massive pipe and aquaduct system.

Some twit in WA tried to get elected by telling everyone he'd dam the Fitroy
and pipe the water to Perth. Problem is that unless the pipe runs downhill
all the way (3700 km), you need to pump that water uphill -- and that's
really, really energy-intensive. A litre of water, after all, weighs a kilo.
To give you an idea, Warragamba Dam (Sydney's main dam) has an output of 2.6
million litres a day.

Sometimes we forget how darn big Australia is. History also tells us that
most of those giant engineering projects don't end well.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/