Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_16_] Jonno[_16_] is offline

Default Aquaducts - irrigating Australia

If we put in water, the desalination plants will die.
Please dont!

Blackadder XXIV wrote:
"Chookie" wrote in message
Sometimes we forget how darn big Australia is. History also tells us that
most of those giant engineering projects don't end well.

No of course we can't. We've got a relatively small population in a
continent the size of Western Europe or North America.

But this cycle of drought and flood will remain with us for generations -
and our population size is growing too. Desalination plants aren't the
answer. And I don't think water rationing will work either.

Staring at a map of Australia, you can see that we've got a system of
rivers- there should be someway we can tap into them - creating canals,
reservoirs and aquaduct systems (underground) to pipe water from areas which
flood to areas which are dry.

What's the cost? One billion dollars? Ten billions dollars? Probably more.
Will it be done in ten years time, twenty? forty years perhaps? I think its
feasibily - anything is better than seeing parts of our nation flood,
farming communities dry out, and just swatting the flies off our faces.