Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Jeremy Cullinan

Default New user question- turf types for Adelaide

Hello all,

We have recently bought a house that needs new lawn- we basically have bare
clay with some patches of kikuyu at the front. My questions a

1) What is the best way to kill off the kikuyu? Should I use Roundup or
similar?

After I've gotten rid of that I want to rotary hoe some mulch and gypsum in,
maybe add some topsoil and lay some turf on top (in March/April?), so;

2) What would be the best type of turf to use to suit my requirements which
a low maintenance, preferably self repairing, low water requirement,
stays green in winter, can handle hot sun as well as shade and is reasonably
drought tolerant.

From my research so far I am leaning towards either Sir Walter Buffalo or
Plateau Couch. Has anyone got any experience with these and if so what is
your opinion? I haven't found too much info on the plateau couch around.

Regards,
Jeremy