Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_16_] Jonno[_16_] is offline

Default Aquaducts - irrigating Australia

FarmI wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
SG1 wrote:

The Ord has been recognised as a disaster for the last 20 years or so.
Geese love rice and any other thing that grows & ya can't shoot the Bs.
Leave the tropics alone and bomb a few cities, drastic but effective.

Whether the Ord river system is a disaster or not remains to be seen.

If what the experts say is right, we are already living in a post peak oil
world.

The Ord is build in an area of very low population. When fuel is in short
supply for purposes of both production and transprt of the final product,
the best place to produce food is where there is a population base to whom
the goods are to be sold. The Ord doesn't fit that description so either we
need a massive population shift to near the Ord, or there is a need to
figure out how to get the goods to the population base without using huge
amounts of increasingly expensive fuel.

The Ord is not looking good to be a big success on fuel usage grounds alone.

The problem is how well is it managed and how many fingers are there in
the pie. This is usually the problem when things go wrong. Too many cooks
spoil the broth...

????? I can't follow your thinking here at all. What 'cooks' do you have
in mind? What broth are they spoiling and what do you mean by this comment?

Its hyperthetical. If you have too many people involved in corruption or
"cooks",

"the broth", in this case the Ord river system, doesnt get the proper
attention to detail,

and spoils "the broth" or the outcome for that particular situation or
project.

Usually this happens because of ill will towards each other.

The "cooks" get quite spiteful if they dont get their own way, to the
point of

sabotaging a system. I think political influence/inteference for their
own means has something to do with it.

I hope this explains it., and isnt too hard for you to follow....

Too many critics when they dont get their way etc.

Unfortunately there are at least 2 classes of critics amongst the general
populace. There is the mindless crowd that seems to be most vocal and is
generally made up of the really dumb Joe Public who simply whinges, talks to
John Laws or Alan Jones or the varous other State shock jocks and is totally
clueless. Those who carried on about Chapelle Corby were this type of
person. Then there are another sort of critic who actually uses their head
and trys to gather information, does some analysis and then makes up their
mind. I think that we are blessed with too many of the former and too few
of the latter.