Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Terry Collins

Default Installing an irrigation system

peep wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about installing an automatic irrigation system. I want to
install some pop up sprinklers for my already established front lawn and
fixed sprinklers for the garden beds.. How do I run the hosing under-ground
without damaging the lawn and the gardens?

Well, if you have oddles of money, you can hire those underground
borers.

Most people just dig a very narrow channel and drop the pipe in, say 12"
down. You can usually burrow under garden edging, etc.

If that is too much work, draw up your plans, locate water pipes and
hire a walk behind trencher (about $240/270 for 4/24 hours about 6 years
ago). In 24 hours you can dig an awful lot of trench.

It will take longer than 24 hours to lay the pipe (the fittings and
junctions take time.

It will probably take more than 24 hours to put the dirt back in. 72 +
hours if you decide to backfull with blue metal (spreads rain run off
around to trees, etc.

BTW, I recently purchased the house. The gardens and lawn are about 3 months
old.

It was far easier to do it then.

Brother-in-law and wife have just had an embankment terraced with
sandstone. Looks lovely, but for some silly reason they didn't lay the
watering pipes and lighting cables before the sandstone blocks went into
place.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
http://www.woa.com.au