Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM
the original greggie gibson

Default Roof for conservatory

try alt.energy.renewable

Andrew Tune wrote:

Folks:

Hoping someone can advise (preferably from experience) on the problem of
too much heat in a conservatory.

Living in Melbourne, Australia. For US readers, hot summers (has been
110F
in the last few days) and mild winters (rarely below freezing) - latitude
of 38 degrees. Hoping to build a conservatory as an addition to the
house (i.e. not free-standing). Purpose: predominantly an outdoor room,
plant-growing is secondary. Size: 4.5m x 7m x (roughly) 4m high (i.e.
14' x 23' x 13' roughly). Orientation: E-W, with solid walls on the north
and south sides, full glass walls on the east and west.

Question: if we go for a full glass roof, won't it become unbearably hot
even on sunny winter days? If, as an alternative, we go for a normal roof
and a glass lantern (see diagram of cross-section below) will that be a
more sensible compromise? Cross section follows: due to the limitations
of ASCII art (or perhaps my limitations as an ASCII artist!) you should
imagine this with a completely different aspect ratio: stretch it 3 times
horizontally to get a more reasonable idea. Or alternatively, see
http://images.homeportfolio.com/1033/9373/90.jpg

Cross section: /\
/ \
| |--- Lantern roof